A front page newsworthy problem.
I sit on the Board of a daycare and we had a meeting a few weeks ago with the guest speaker being a bedbug expert. Let me tell you...I was fascinated by these little critters!
I came home and told Tim and Cole all about them. I'll give you the lowdown:
- One bite will last them 18 months
- They will hide if a hotel room is not in use, they need a host...a host being you and me as we check into our room on that great vacation!
- They have been found in library books here recently...and the experts suggestion was for everyone to switch to Kindles. Are the days of taking a nice smelly book from the library over and done with?
- They like to hang out in the middle seats at the local movie theatres. So sit on the end of the first row (yeah right...and get a cranked neck)
- They are not like the "old 1920's" bedbugs. Our recent crop are "resistant" to the chemical government allows us to spray to kill them...so heat treatment is best...and costly.
- Todays paper...bedbug found on local transit bus.
Last night Cole decided that bedbugs only bite people over 65. According to Cole, they can tell the persons age by the size and wrinkles on your hands. Ohhhh the mind of a 6 year old.
As we lay in bed chatting, I had a whole slew of questions for him refuting his theories...in the end he ended our conversation like this:
Mom, I don't know why they won't bite us....I am NOT a scientist.
Scientific or not, bedbugs are here, and are causing me some anxiety.
What's making you anxious these days?