Saturday, June 27, 2009

Food, and more food

I gained 30 pounds when pregnant with Cole, I weighed more than Tim at the end..sad but true. I worked out, ate well, and had a great pregnancy. Taking the weight off after was slow but it all came off, with an extra 20 pounds.

So when I got pregnant with the twins I was at a much better starting point. The average weight gain for twins is 45 pounds...yikes!! I'm only 5 foot 4 so 45 pounds is ALOT. Some friends gained 50-60. Even better, thanks for sharing! I love food, I plan it, prep it, freeze it, tupperware it, pack it...it is a job in itself.

Alot of people ask me what I eat, and are shocked to know that I eat 8 times a day...easily. Each meal is a mini meal, every 2-3 hours. I cannot digest large meals, physically I get bloated and tired and cranky. Not to mention the scale does not like big meals on me either.

I can count on 2 hands what I eat. Boring? Heck no, there is a ton you can do with natural, whole foods. For me, the key was to cut back on white starches. That meant breads, white rice, pasta, potatoes etc.. Instead I enjoy oatmeal, whole grain rice and low carb bread, yams and sweet potatoes.

A sample day of food in my life (keep in mind I get an extra 300 calories this trimester!)

8am: 5 egg whites with steamed spinach or other veggies and low fat cheese.
10am: 1/2 cup oatmeal mixed with sugarfree applesauce
noon: 1/2 cup cottage cheese with 1/2 mixed berries
2pm :5 oz chicken, 3 cups salad with 2 tbsp low fat dressing
5pm: 4 oz fish or chicken, 1 cup green veggies steamed and 1/2 cup boiled yasms
8pm: pudding or yogurt or some gluten free crackers with natural peanut butter

This keeps my energy high and my belly full all day. Once a week I like a serious cheat day. Some candy, chips, chocolate, whatever I feel like. Keeps me sane and reminds me again why I need to eat clean...cheat days also mean headaches from the sugar and fatigue from the junk!

I also got some emails this week on how to do a plie squat. Here is what it looks like from the back, I use a 20 pound dumbbell for extra weight, but it can be done with no weight or a lesser weight.



Seeing this pic (which is a pic from last week when we had nice enough weather to train outside!) has reminded me that I need to get in my leg workout today.

Get it done people!! Enjoy your weekend


3 comments:

  1. Oh I love that you shared your eating habits. I am just getting started on eating cleaner and I am loving how much better I feel. And also all my clothes are too big, shopping here we come! 3 sleeps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it hard to keep up with how hungry I was while pregnant with my twins, then as they got bigger my stomach got smaller and so I needed to eat small meals more frequently. So you wont have to make many adjustments as those babies take up more and more room. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also eat little meals all day long. If I have a large meal I feel bloated and cranky! It's funny how your stomach gets used to smaller meals. That reminds me, it's time for my fruit and yogurt!

    ReplyDelete