Friday, November 27, 2009

Losing the baby weight

2 days after delivery my uncle (you know...the one with the toilet incident a while back) asked me why I still had a belly if I had already had the babies....

Pardon?


I was still in the hospital and had I not been experiencing such joy over the twins I likely would have freaked and said some nasty words....instead, I kindly told him it takes a while for the uterus to contract back, yada yada yada.....but it got me thinking...do some men (and maybe some women) expect us to quickly return to our pre-pregnancy shape? If it took 9 months to put on, why are we not allowed at least 9 months to shed it? I really don't care that Heidi Klum had to be "runway ready" 2 months post delivery..

BUT...I also need to be "runway ready" by April. My brother is getting married and I am a bridesmaid.

Having been through a pregnancy, I am fully aware that it takes time to lose the weight but even harder to achieve is muscle tone and tightness of the skin. While I'm in no hurry, I have been feeling good enough to return to the treadmill, my favorite piece of cardio equipment. Today I also said hello to my home gym...light weights of course.

So my next venture in this land of blogging is to document my quest to shred. Thank you to my brother and fiance for setting a time frame for me! Oh and thanks for having me try on a dress today, with full breasts and 15 extra pounds on me.

The scale number is not so much a concern for me. I like muscle. We get so caught up in the numbers and I am willing to bet most of us feel some sort of anxiety or rush as we step on a weight scale.

I started out the IVF process at 130 pounds and a size 2-4. I gained almost 50 pounds with these twins........yup that would place me at 180 pounds!!!!! Today, 12 days after delivery I weigh in at 146.2....and a size 8. I plan on weighing in every friday and giving a recap of the week (ie: food, cardio and weights, ups and downs)

Anyone have a few pounds to shed and want to join me in this journey?

5 comments:

  1. No weight to lose here, but I can be your cheerleader! Look forward to hearing about your workouts and eating...it keeps me motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atta girl! You will be back to your normal size in no time, if anyone can do it, you can!

    You are my inspiration, the wind beneath my wings!

    Ha! Too much eh ;) But seriously though, really you are inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cheryl

    If it's any consolation my own father in law asked me the same thing two days after I gave birth to Tyler. So when are you going to get back into shape? I agree that they just don't get it.

    I'm game for the workouts with you. I'm happy with my weight but would love to push it to that next level. The Kelly Ripa one... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all over this challenge. I would like to lose about the same amount so it is perfect. If you can share all of your wisdom, that would help me a great deal. Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I THINK YOU'RE AMAZING...no matter what your weight.

    ReplyDelete