Tuesday, December 1, 2009

PRE-POST workout snacks....MAKE THIS ONE

Often when I'm on the go I like to take protein bars with me. Detour Bars from Costco are my favorite as they contain minimal sugar and the carbs are pretty equal to the protein content.

BUT, nothing beats homemade snacks, so I put this one together

2 cups rolled oats (I use Rogers Porridge Oats with Oat Bran, Wheat Bran and Flaxseed, from Sobeys)
1/2 cup natural peanut butter - NATURAL ONLY, I use the Kraft brand.
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp honey
1/4 cup raisins
4 scoops vanilla protein powder (whatever you have in your house, just make sure your protein powder is low in sugar (like o or 1) and carbs (under 4) and at least 20g protein per scoop

Place all in a large bowl and use your hands to mix up into a dough
Line baking pan (I use a square glass pan) with wax paper
Press dough into the pan
Freeze for 30 minutes
Remove and cut, should yield about 8-12 squares at 200 calories a pop, a perfect snack!

Having these in the fridge removes any temptation for an unhealthy snack like store bought granola bars, or even yogurt (high sugar). You can put them in ziplocs and tote them for after the gym, grocery shopping etc,

Taste tested and approved by the 5 year old in the house!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm! Still need to get a good protien powder, the ones at the store I went to were awful and I need a soy one - no dairy for this girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds yummy...I'll have to try it! It's always great to find a new way to choke down that protein powder!

    ReplyDelete